Latest visitor information
Edinburgh Zoo is open seven days a week to visitors from across the UK in line with current Scottish Government guidance.
With more of you planning to see our incredible animals and enjoy our outdoor spaces, it is really important to be aware of what to expect on the day, including our limited car parking spaces, the queues for entry and popular viewing areas, and more. For the latest visitor information, please visit our FAQ page.
We plan to be open every day of the year, with the exception of Christmas Day and Boxing Day (25 and 26 December). Last entry to the zoo is one hour before closing time.
Please note that some areas, including Koala Territory, have restricted opening times – ask on arrival for details.
|Seasonal opening times:|
|April – September||
10am to 6pm
|October and March||10am to 5pm|
|November – February||10am to 4pm|
Christmas Day and
RZSS members gate
RZSS member benefits normally include fast track entry through our members gate, located at the top left of the main car park. You must provide a valid membership card to gain access through this gate.
Our members gate is normally open from 10am between 1 April – 30 September, and during Edinburgh school holidays and weekends, with the gate closing one hour before the zoo closing time.
We have signs on the entry to the car park to let everyone know of any changes. Please check by the car park barriers before going up the hill. When the gate is closed, please enter through our main admissions building – RZSS members and their guests do not need to book in advance.
Not an RZSS member, but like the sound of unlimited entry, fast-track access and discounts in our shops and eateries? Find out how you could save money and support our global conversation efforts!
- For Health and Safety reasons children aged 15 or under must be accompanied by a responsible person aged 16 or over at all times
- Edinburgh Zoo is located on a hillside so we recommend that visitors wear comfortable footwear
- Some of our indoor enclosures/attractions may open later than the stated opening time and may close 30 minutes prior to the zoo's stated closing time
- Dogs are not permitted into Edinburgh Zoo as they can cause stress to some of our animals. We only permit guide-dogs for the visually impaired
- For the safety of other visitors and our animals, we reserve the right to refuse admission to any visitors under the influence of alcohol or drugs